مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : U.S. critics miss the real Saudi Arabia

Maged
16-01-2006, 10:45 AM
This is view of a British women analysit of Saudi-US relations
Very interesting

U.S. critics miss the real Saudi Arabia
By TANYA C. HSU
11/28/05

After I moved from Atlanta to Saudi Arabia recently, many friends were shocked, thinking I'd joined the Taliban or found a Saudi prince. Part of the kingdom's beauty
is its inaccessibility and retention of Arab character. But many in the West are pushing Saudi to apologize, confess to its "unacceptable" culture and change according to their values. If the truth about this country were known, the anti-Saudi rhetoric from the West would stop and people might want to visit. But Westerners invariably see only abayas (black cloaks), women prohibited from driving and oppression with no context.

When I was one of the few analysts in U.S.-Saudi relations in America, I was fighting an increasingly futile uphill battle against an unreceptive audience. With hostility and ignorance toward a people who happen to share the same birthplace as one wanted man and 15 dead men, the insults and hatred became intolerable.

Tanya C. Hsu is a British Saudi-U.S political analyst living in Saudi Arabia.

In Saudi Arabia I can
speak freely, appearing in media without threats. I am respected as an intelligent, outspoken woman.

The Wahhabi mutawa (religious police) are my friends, as are members of the Majli A'Shura (parliament). Highly educated and multilingual, they come to my apartment to discuss politics, religion and "why is America doing this to us?"

I live in Riyadh, the "ultraconservative" capital. No one has objected to seeing me alone in public with men, and I haven't been hauled away by the religious police when kissing a man goodbye on the cheek on the street. I pass for, dress and live as a Saudi. I don't cover my face, and the abaya frees me from having to worry about my figure. And there is no law mandating such clothing. However, recently some women were told to remove their niqabs (face veils) on the job and they refused.

Driving is not an issue for most, and after years in Atlanta traffic, I welcome the freedom. Women here are strong. There is far less domestic
violence than in the United States and only 2 percent of Muslim men have more than one wife.

I can buy Pop-tarts and Oreos at Safeway, clothes at Saks 5th Avenue and furniture at Ikea. With Christmas coming, shop displays are green and red, with Santa T-shirts on the racks. At Jarir Books, I can sit with my cappuccino in Starbucks, perusing Erica Jong, in view of shelves of "Venus & Mars" and Harry Potter books.

I have the BBC, CNN or endless channels of music video stations, with scantily dressed Arab women in seductive scenes. Sometimes I will catch a Saudi orchestra, with their black tuxedos and violins, stage decorated like Cirque du Soleil, or HBO's uncensored "Sex In The City."

So I ponder how virtually every word written in the West is diametrically opposed to the truth. I have not been to one compound where Americans have lived for decades behind barbed wire. They will tell you what it is like here, yet they admit they have never visited a Saudi's
house, do not speak Arabic and only mix with foreigners.

Crime is very low. I leave my windows open and doors unlocked. As for terrorism, Saudi Arabia has an extraordinarily high success rate of catching suspected terrorists. No one I've met, including "extremist" religious scholars, sanctions al-Qaida or Osama bin Laden.

Far from the playboy image, royal family members work daily from morning until midnight. There is great wealth but it is spread to the people of the kingdom: no income tax, free health care, free housing for the poor, and free education, including university.

Most will fail to understand my apparently drastic move, or what lies behind the veil of Saudi Arabia. But at least I am here now, free to document the country firsthand, from quite a unique perspective.

・ Tanya C. Hsu was one of the contributors to this month's written testimony on Capitol Hill on the kingdom for the Senate Judiciary Committee.

ذيب قحطان
16-01-2006, 12:22 PM
مشكورررر اخوي Maged على النقل ... وبصراحه اللي ذكرته

الكاتبه شئ واقعي وملموس ... ولكن اعلام الغرب عنده سياسة التعتيم على

كل شئ ايجابي او عقلاني فيما يخص ديننا الإسلامي أو عادات وتقاليدنا ..

المشبهاني
16-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Some foriegners are living in better status than us here in Saudi !!! This is a fact even in other Gulf countries...

But the West is still the West ... And we need to seperate bewteen the Western Media & Western people

The media has never been the real mirror of the people and what they feel & think .... Just like here in the Arab World.....

the media speaks out for the Government interests in spite of the people's
views... and that's what's happenning in the West too

It's all about promoting policies...

That's the Name of The game

In addition to that.... We - as Arabs - didn't do much to communicate with West...

They are in total darkness when it comes to our values and traditions... So we should connect with them in smart ways to educate them more & more about our culture

And just as a reminder.....

More demonstrations were organized in the USA to oppose the War on Iraq than in the Arab World !!!! Unbelievable

Thanks Maged for topic

Maged
16-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Dear Mr. Al Meshabahani and Mr. Theib Qahtan
Thank you for your view...indeed what Al meshabahani said is 100% true

Maged
16-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Dear Mr. Al Meshabahani and Mr. Theib Qahtan
Thank you for your view...indeed what Al meshabahani said is 100% true
Thanks again